8 September 2009

the ongoing challenge

Surviving on a credit card in security conscious USA is proving to be a challenge. So much so, in fact, that last night daughter and I were rolling about in laughter... was it hysterical laughter, I wonder?

I wont bore you with the trials of on-line ordering and search for images, crashed computers, ambiguous websites and other domestic trivia, but the following part could well happen to you too!

I am using a credit card from one country with a billing address in another. Easy, one thinks, in the days of electronic banking. One would expect it to be accepted internationally...

British Airways would not accept my credit card in the USA because the country of origin of the card was not the same as the billing address of the card. No problem, says my ever so helpful and friendly bank on the other side of the world. You can change the address on line to another address if you have one here, then change it back later. Done in a trice.

Last night I tried to use the same credit card to purchase business cards here in the USA. Not possible on the on-line site, the credit card must have a USA address.

Here we go again. Now, if I don't remember to change it back, my daughter will receive my bills. In four or five days my credit card has had three different addresses.

Tonight, while shopping in the Labor (Labour) day sales, I had to give my USA postcode to use my credit card. Thankfully daughter was nearby...

Today I am grateful for
patience in testing times.

No comments: