15 September 2009

contemplation

I've had lots of thinking time recently. Often that is not so good for me, but this time it has been quite OK.

A good friend has just won the job of his dreams and will be beginning a new life in the USA. I will miss our phone chats but I am so happy to see that dreams can come true for hard working, kind and honest people. In bocca al lupo, amico mio!

It set me wondering, do I have a "dream job"? Perhaps I do, and I am in it already. As long as I can keep muddling along, earning a little here and there, selling paintings and guiding travellers in the Liri Valley, talking until the wee small hours with house guests, what better work could I find?

I'm pretty lucky, really!

Today I walked through a store filled with temptation. So many things to buy, buy, buy. I left the store with more art supplies, some curtain material and two little packs of plastic bags to store things in. Once upon a time I would have added things I don't need to my shopping cart.

Other friends are observing Ramadan in a country not sympathetic to their religion. Their focus is on spiritual growth, on family and tradition, and on going without, to appreciate what it is like to be hungry and consequently be more generous to those in need. Another Christian friend fasts every Friday for the same reason. Makes you think a bit, their focus on others in need. Could I do that? I have never fasted, unless under doctors orders and then for only a few hours, so I really don't know.

A roof over our heads, warmth in the winter, fresh food. Good friends, loving family. That's all we need.

Today I am grateful for
simplicity and sincerity.

No comments: