30 October 2010

yummy recipe

When you live alone and like to be frugal occasionally the shopping gets a bit out of kilter. There's always plenty in the cupboard and the freezer, but the fridge...well, it's looking more like a science fair project than a health food store (I really was going to freeze those veges...). When I came in from the olives to cook tea things didn't look very promising. There were a few sad looking vegetables given to me at a time I was eating out with a Kiwi visitor, and some less than attractive hardening cheeses left over from when I shopped for same visitor, but not really anything that looked appetising.

However, every flatter would be delighted with this:
Take the cauliflower from the back of the fridge, cut off all the black bits, dig out the brown bits, and throw into the pot with the last onion cut roughly in big pieces to avoid tears.
Resurrect the sagging pumpkin, give it a shave, then chop into small pieces.
Add the last three tomatoes, and leave all boiling a while.
Decide not to add anything out of the freezer, but throw in some vege stock cubes.
Mash a bit while boiling.
Serve in large soup mug and add generous amounts of crumbled gorgonzola that had seen better days.

YUMMMMMMMMM! This with some wonderful local bread (wood fired oven, bread freshly made today) and I didn't even need a glass of vino to wash it down. Two helpings later I have just remembered the wine, still with the cap on the bottle.

Today I am also grateful for the various very generous friends, who (about a week ago) gave me the cauliflower, the pumpkin and the as yet unopened bottle of wine.

1 comment:

Teacake said...

YUM!