25 October 2009

different music

This weekend has seen some YouTube time, sharing different cultures through music. One video took a lovely tour through rural New Zealand to the tune of Pa Mai, kareoke style. If I had learnt to speak Maori when I was young I am sure learning Italian whould be so much easier now... at least as far as pronunciation goes!

I spent some quiet time perusing the many files, in a strange kind of nostalgic place. In the end I returned to Kiri Te Kanawa, singing a range of songs in English and Italian. These seem to suit my multi-cultural space.

Right now the autumn sun reaches into the house; the windows are open and the chanting of the soccer supporters floats up from the valley below. Daylight saving has finished,the leaves are turning a glorious yellow.

From my peaceful perch on the hillside I can close my eyes, listen to music, and transport myself anywhere I choose. Zacchi and Pickle, however, want me to stay here, go walking, and maybe, if I am good, they will let me photograph the autumn colours.

Today I am grateful for inter-cultural tolerance.

No comments: