24 September 2008

kiwis

...do fly. There are four of us here now, all roughly the same age, each with four children, each now living alone. One is talking of moving here.

I fear for my Italian, with this ongoing English language. One of the visiting kiwis has studied Italian for longer than I have. We try to converse in Italian. Before I had so many visitors I would wake thinking in Italian, simple phrases to greet the day and the dog. That has gone. My sentence structure is going. It has been several months of English over the summer. It is time to protect myself.

I will not speak in English if this visitor returns to stay. The young folk here who refuse to speak in English with me are right. Kay will never learn Italian if we use our English with her, they say. They put my learning ahead of their own.

Thankyou, my Italian English speaking young friends, for showing me tough love.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bravo, buona decisione!

E buona fortuna!