29 January 2009

so much so that...

I promised myself efficiency today. It worked! I got so much done, and was so involved in what I was doing, that I almost forgot to write a post! But I would like to be less flippant, more considered.

On Justice:
I received an email recently with a thought-provoking quotation in it.

It is from “The Hidden Words” by Baha’u’llah.
O SON OF SPIRIT
The best beloved in my sight is Justice; turn not away therefrom if thou desirest Me, and neglect it not that I may confide in thee. By its aid thou shalt see through thine own eyes and not through the eyes of others and shalt know of thine own knowledge and not through the knowledge of thine neighbour.
Ponder this in thine heart how it behooveth thee to be. Verily Justice is My gift to thee and a sign of My loving kindness. Set it then before thine eyes.
I am still pondering it, simplifying it and putting it into my own words, particularly "thou shalt see through thine own eyes and not through the eyes of others and shalt know of thine own knowledge and not through the knowledge of thine neighbour".

I think I will come back to this again.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Respectful questions, because I don't understand the quote. How does justice allow you to see with your own eyes, and why is that good?

What about empathy, and mercy?

Kay said...

Surely if one sees with eyes that are truly seeing, and therefore just, then empathy and mercy are part of that? I would add the word love, because I believe that if we look at all situations with love then we do see from all points of view and will see "clearly". Possibly justice, without prejudice and judgement, might be reached by seeing with love.

This was written in the 1800s, and words have since changed in meaning, or at least have other connotations at times, which is why I struggled with its intent for a few days before I posted it.

When we judge, quite often our judgements are influenced by the eyes of others. If we look to what is central to all, taking away all other agendas, then fairness, empathy and mercy become integrated I believe.

This quotation for me is not "an eye for an eye" kind of thinking, but clarity of thought and perception from a place of fairness and love.

I have yet to reply to the friend who sent me the quote to discuss it further. Thankyou for the respectful questions.