28 July 2008

while I slept...

While Zacchi and I slept last night, dreaming of chasing cats and butterflies, my Dad continued to prove that you don't have to get old even if you live a long time.

Travelling with a group of athletes but essentially travelling on his own, he is in Townsville, Australia, for the Oceania Masters Athletics Championships. It is strange not being there with him this year, I was so often the "support crew", so I guess that is why I have been searching the net for the programme and results.

His first race was the 5000 metres. At 88 he was the only one in his age group so of course collected gold. In doing so, though, he beat home 9 runners aged from 64 to 85. His sprint to the finish was chasing a friend - just a young chap in the 75-80 age group. I hear that if the crowd hadn't roared he might just have snuck in ahead of the other runner who was unaware of the sprint from behind...

I'm jolly sure I couldn't run 5000 metres in 27.04.22 minutes!

.

No comments: