22 July 2008

not obsessive, really



I want to say that I am not actually obsessive about posting progress reports. I am working to an incredibly tight deadline and find that in this situation taking photographs to look at the work on the computer helps me to be objective. I am far too close to the work to see what is really there, I see what I think is there instead.

Using the photos I do comparisons and occasionally drop one into grey-scale to check on my tonal values. When working under pressure it is easy to let something slip through. I am posting the photos because I know there is an artist in Australia keeping an eye on the ups and downs, and if I can help anyone learn a little more (even if it is showing what NOT to do) then that is reason enough to post.

I have only ten more painting hours before this has to leave my hands. There has been absolutely no reflective time, I am working from what I was told are rather unflattering photographs, and I have never met the subjects. All things considered, I think it is going well.

No comments: