22 September 2010

where did today go?

I have hit a creative blip. Today it was an effort to even get out of bed, so making it up to the studio has yet to happen. I think that once I have sorted all my accounts, located and filed and understood the last few months of payments, and maybe had a nice cold beer, I will feel much more able to concentrate on work.

In the meantime I have listened to a couple of tapes on keeping life simple. I have been trying to do exactly that since I moved to Italy, but saying no to other people is difficult and I seem to have too many projects on the go.

Note to myself: remember which is which of the balls you are juggling and make sure you don't drop the crystal ones. Rubber balls bounce back; crystal ones, the beautiful ones, shatter if you don't give them enough attention (from Rich German's daily post.

It is time to make a list... and the first thing on it will be exercise.

Today I am grateful for two well behaved little dogs who walk me.

3 comments:

Feijoa said...

I know that feeling. Just completing something helps, even if it's only the crossword...

Teacake said...

Might I say - with absolutely no offence intended - that you write this same post semi-regularly?

Well, you're writing in a public forum inviting comment, so yes, I'll say it :-)

I'm talking about the too-much-on, must-simplify, have-to-say-no-more-often post. A worthwhile question might be: why is it so hard to say no to people or projects?

Answering that might bring you closer to knowing why the issue keeps cropping up, and how to knock it on the head once and for all.

Just my (hopefully not entirely uninvited) $0.02 :-)

Scratchy backrubs to those beautiful little doggies!

Kay said...

Aaaah dear Teacake, you are so right. I would like to think that each time I get to one of these spaces I do make another positive step along the way to a simpler life!

I am learning quite fast what I DON'T want to do, even though well intentioned and helpful people seem to think that I should want to do certain things.

This morning, after a small scurry of domesticity, I realised that one of the things I want to do each day is relax on the couch with a book, albeit an Italian "Mills and Boon" with only the sound of the fountain in the background. So, with exercise number one and admin number two, number three on the agenda is the "time-out" for an long morning tea.

Work follows, the kind that pays money, with a new burst of energy. I seem to be an early morning - late night working person, so the middle of the day is time out. then it is back upstairs to work until the sun goes down, then back "home" to work on the computer... with distractions, of course!

The biggest thing lately has been working out where I live, upstairs or downstairs, with a flatmate or alone. The dogs have voted to have me home alone again, they are so peaceful and quiet again now that I am back downstairs.