27 November 2009

lots to think about

Sorting through boxes of memories is wonderful if you are looking for inspirations for a painting, but not so wonderful when you are trying to be ruthless and give things away.

In an ideal world I would keep only what I need. Realistically, how much does one need memory triggers? Should we look back, reflectively, a little sadly, or should we always look forward, head up, eyes shining with excitement, positive about the future? Why is it that I can be generous and quite ruthless with possessions in the morning, but by 4pm put everything I look at back into the box of things to keep?

One person's trash is another's treasure. Looking at the things I choose to keep I suspect that to another my treasures are nothing but trash. The things it is easier to part with are the new, the pretty, the useful, but how can I part with the worn and cracked objects that hold generations of family history? I think that when the person holding the item sees only a piece of junk then it is time to give it away, throw it out, put it in the op shop. But while it holds a memory then that trash is my treasure.

Today I am grateful for text messages from my personal trainer.

2 comments:

pasticcino said...

Oh! Glad after reading your post that you're grateful for mean, whip-cracking text messages!

What you are doing is hard, and you are right to use your own measures of "trash" and "treasure". It's also good when pretty much all you have left are the meaningful things :-)

Feijoa said...

Come back to the land of cyber! All things are transient and 0's and 1's are easy to store. We on the web miss you, N xx